cabinquest.us

a service for privately owned vacation properties

Archive for August, 2015

A little bit of SEO

without comments

Now that I have a social media integration and email campaign going I thought I’d spend some time on SEO again. This time I targeted two different areas.

The first was page speed. Google Analytics and pagespeed test has always indicated that I have blocking javascript on my above the fold content. So I committed myself to fixing that. The main problem was that I was using a jquery menu system which meant I had to load jquery first unless I wanted a very ugly page to flash by on load. So the first thing I did was to replace that with a pure CSS solution. This worked for all of my public facing pages but the pages. Google is now registering 0.00 seconds on many of my pages. My internal pages still using a significant amount of jquery but I was able to load them through scripting at the end of the page and that also helped the speed of those pages.

Content Keywords

Concentration of keywords

The other thing that I worked on was thin content. Several years ago I thought it would be a great feature to have links to all of the state and national parks, and then show the cabins that were closest to those parks. In practice however many of these pages either showed little or very similar content and Google/MOZ kept telling me that I have lots of thin/duplicate content. So in I removed all of the code that generated those pages and am now sending 410 status code to get them cleared out of the search engines.

 

As you can see by the content keywords report from Google webmaster the top words on my site were the ones generated by the state and national park links. I’m thinking that state, park, wildlife, lake, management, national, natural, historical, refuge, game and recreation should all drop off the list and cabins, resort, rental, and lodge should rise to the top. It has been a week and a half and I haven’t seen a change in this but I’m going to let this ride for a while and see what happens.

Written by steve@cabinquest.us

August 31st, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Posted in CabinQuest

Summer of SEO (or not)

without comments

This summer, I had become pretty disgusted with trying to get Google to generate more traffic for my site. It seemed like anything I did, wasn’t working. So I decided to un-Google my strategy for a while.

I started with building in Facebook integration. I had actually started with hybrid-auth as the backend for it but found that to be too complex for what I was doing. So I went back to the facebook API and built it from scratch. That worked much better for me. I provided an easy login and targeted the ‘review’ page for each cabin. I┬ástarted getting 1 or 2 new users every day which was great but I’m not getting them to comment as much as I thought they would.

Along with that I built an email campaign process. Most of my users have been the cabin owners themselves but now I have consumers logging in as well so I want to reach out to them monthly and get them back to the site for a look. So far this has worked well. And even with the falling Google numbers we are maintaining traffic with this direct marketing process.

I like this out of the box thinking for my site. I haven’t had to work traffic like this in the past but I hope that have alternatives to the sources will provide more stability in the future.

s

Written by steve@cabinquest.us

August 30th, 2015 at 2:13 am

Posted in CabinQuest